Wednesday, May 22, 2013

a plague o' both your houses

Lunches? Don't ask me about lunches. This is going to be a brief post, as I haven't slept more than a couple of hours at a stretch since last Friday because my 16 month old has pneumonia. I figure as long as the kids don't go to school Nelson Muntz-style with peanut butter smeared on a playing card, that I'll be ahead of the game.

Like sick toddlers everywhere, he thinks he wants food, but he doesn't know which food it is that will make him happy. Certainly not any of the foods I've packed for him. Even standbys like flavoured yoghurt and sweet watermelon don't seem to be working.

He takes one bite, screams deep in his chest, which brings on a bout of coughing. He shoves the food at me (or onto the floor). I take the offending thing away. He points at the lunchbag and screams "MOREMOREMORE". I try something else. Rinse. Repeat.

Blissfully, my older kids have settled into a nice routine where they want a sandwich, either yoghurt or cheese, a couple pieces of fruit, maybe a granola bar or something. Like Sue said last week, maybe the reason why the bog-standard bag lunch exists is because it really is what works the best, for most people.





1 comment:

  1. I'm impressed you wrote this! Wow, did that sound like an anonymous commenter? This is an actual comment I got on my blog:
    "We at times work with an unscented moderate bubble bath using specific vital oil.
    When you use the tips in the report previously
    mentioned, you can boost memory. Your motor will runs quieter then
    smoother, which enable improve your engine life."

    This seems to me to be a hilariously appropriate comment for this post, since you're running on no sleep with a poor sick little one. I DO NOT KNOW WHY. What is wrong with me? I cannot stop typing. You'd think *I* was the sleep deprived one.

    Lunches, whee!

    ReplyDelete