Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Tupperware Tantrum

I had a Tupperware Tantrum last night when I was packing lunches.

I couldn't help myself. I mean, I have an entire cupboard dedicated to reusable containers and lids for lunches. It's kind of a thing with me, you know? In the fall I made a point of updating my stash, ensuring there were at least three of each new container I bought so each kid would have one. Yesterday, I could barely find enough for one kid's lunch. So, yeah, tantrum.

It turns out that my husband had something to do with the disappearing containers. Our schools do boomerang lunches, which means anything your kid doesn't eat comes back home in their lunch bag. So when he started dealing with after school lunches and the kids inevitably returned with a few uneaten blackberries, pineapple chunks or whatever, he would pop that container into the freezer to use in the morning smoothie.

Smart, right? I used to just eat whatever fruit they brought back. Or I would compost it if I wasn't into it in the morning. But this recycling lunch fruit in the smoothie thing is inspired. (Except for the hiding of lunch-sized containers in the freezer: that is just plain annoying.)

My husband has perfected the art of smoothie-making in recent months. He starts with about half a cup of the thick bottled "smoothie" juice you can buy in the refrigerator section of the grocery store. We usually stock up when it's on sale. Then he adds a splash of pure cranberry or orange juice, yogurt he freezes in small batches and some frozen fruit. Whir it all up in the blender and it makes a milkshake-thick, fruity breakfast drink. You could also put some in a thermos and send it for lunch.

What was for lunch today?
- Leftover greek chicken pita wraps
- Goldifsh crackers
- Grape tomatoes
- Green grapes
- A few of these crappy chocolate lady finger cookies my kids love for some reason

5 comments:

  1. That smoothie idea is pure genius! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the smoothie idea, too. I'm also impressed that you made it until APRIL before you had a tupperware tantrum. That's got to be some kind of record.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had more than one. It's hard to stay calm when you CAN'T FIND ANY DAMN LIDS.

      Just sayin'. :)

      Delete
  3. GOOD GRIEF THAT IS SMART.
    All of our lunch dishes are gone. For no GOOD REASON. WHERE DID THEY GO?
    I'm totally going to steal his idea. BRILLIAAAANT.

    ReplyDelete